Cauliflower Crust Chicken Pesto Pizza
By Monica Winn
This is a significantly cleaner version of the much loved and craved pizza dish. An excellent way to manage calories, stay on track and enjoy as a family while achieving your health and fitness goals.
1. It’s high in anti-oxidants! - Cauliflower contains a ton of vitamin C and manganese, as well as carotenoids. This floret packs a punch in fighting free-radicals.
2. Cauliflower has anti-inflammatory properties - Due to its high vitamin K content, cauliflower helps to reduce inflammation. It also has omega-3 fatty acids, the same healthy fats found in salmon and flax seeds, but with the added bonus of practically no calories.
3. Fiber! - The average daily recommendation for fiber exceeds 25 grams. Eat some cauliflower and you’ll be contributing over 3 grams to your daily total, helping cleanse your digestive tract.
4. Increased blood flow - Decrease chronic ailments such as atherosclerosis, a leading cause of heart attack and stroke. Cauliflower can help keep your blood flowing to essential organs of the body!
5. Vitamin packed - Cauliflower boasts a cornucopia of B vitamins: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 9 to be exact. That includes folic acid, so if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, be sure to add this vegetable to your weekly consumption.
Full head of cauliflower florets only
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
1 cup low fat or skimmed mozzarella cheese
2 eggs (beaten)
Thinly sliced cooked chicken breast
Chopped zucchini, red pepper, green pepper, mushrooms, red onion
¼ low fat or skimmed mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Using a cookie sheet or a pizza tray, coat with cooking spray or line with parchment paper
3. Using only the florets of the cauliflower, use a cheese grate or finely chop into rice size pieces (should measure two cups or slightly more)
4. In a non-stick skillet, sauté the cauliflower for approximately 6 minutes over medium heat, until the cauliflower turns slightly translucent.
5. Combine all crust ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Spread the dough over the cookie sheet or pan ensuring it does not exceed more than 1/3 inch thickness.
7. Bake in the oven for approximately 30mins or until the crust is golden brown
8. Remove crust from oven, glaze with a light layer of pesto and top with suggested toppings: chicken breast, zucchini, red and green pepper, mushrooms and red onion.
9. Add an additional ¼ cup of shredded cheese to bond the toppings if desired.
10. Broil for 5 minutes to melt the cheese, and enjoy!
Note: Pre roast your vegetable toppings as the pizza only needs a slight broil at the finish